Process for Requesting Data
The Prep-to-Research (PTR) Form should be reviewed, completed, and submitted by any investigator who wishes to obtain summary counts to help with a grant application. The CRN Coordinating Center (CC) and Informatics Core (IC) are tasked with facilitating PTR and other requests for summary-level CRN data. Please note that these data are provided only for preparatory to research purposes and should not be used without explicit permission from sites and the Coordinating Center. They may contain proprietary Site information, therefore permission is needed from each contributing Site to use that Site's numbers for any purpose including in a grant proposal, poster, or publication.
If this is your first time submitting a Prep-to-Research Form with the CRN, please review these materials before proceeding:
- Preparatory-to-Research (PTR) Instructions (PDF, 122 KB) . Please read through the complete instructions before submitting your request.
- Resources for New Investigators – Overview of CRN information available on this website.
- Investigator Guide (PDF, 272 KB) . The purpose of the Investigator Guide is to serve as an introduction for scientific investigators who wish to obtain and analyze CRN data.
Once you have reviewed the materials above, you may complete the Preparatory-to-Research Online Form.
Summary of the Process:
- Requestor submits completed PTR Form.
- Coordinating Center and Informatics Core review the request with respect to feasibility, priority, effort, and consistency with CRN objectives.
- PTR request assigned to a CRN programmer to complete. Depending on the nature of the request submitted, the CRN may require that investigators not affiliated with the CRN identify a CRN investigator who is interested in collaborating on the project before completing the data request.
- CRN programmer works with the requestor to clarify request, if necessary.
- CRN provides the requestor with the information requested.
The CRN supports data management and analysis infrastructure at nine US health care systems ("our Sites"). While data are collected and maintained independently by each Site, a system of data standards and automated processes known as the Virtual Data Warehouse (VDW) has been established to facilitate consistent data analysis across the network.