In this issue:
- Message from the Coordinating Center
- CRN Quick Facts
- Have You Heard?
- Request for Applications
- SWG/Core Updates
- Important Dates
- The CRN Portal
Message from the Coordinating Center
The Coordinating Center is hard at work optimizing communications within the CRN. This is our next attempt to streamline even further and deliver content that is relevant and useful. Please let us know if you have any input or suggestions about our efforts. Thanks!
— Larry, Heather & Melissa
CRN Quick Facts
24 Collaboration Inquiries
We've had 24 inquiries for collaboration since the start of Year 1, and eight of those have come in since the start of October.
63 Papers Published
According to our count, we've had 63 papers published using CRN resources since September 2012. This count is primarily based on publications linked to the CRN1-3 grant number and information provided to the Coordinating Center by CRN investigators. Here is the list; let us know if your publication is not included!
Have You Heard?
New CRN Personnel: Dr. Deborah Schrag, medical oncologist and health services researcher at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School, has agreed to join the CRN as external co-lead of the Health Care Quality & Cost Scientific Working Group. She is familiar with the CRN, having collaborated with many of us on the REACT Grant (Research on Effectiveness of Advanced Cancer Treatments), an NCI Grand Opportunity grant supported by ARRA (stimulus) funds.
The Applied Research Program and Surveillance Research Program within the Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute (NCI) are pleased to announce the publication of Comparing Cancer Care and Economic Outcomes Across Health Systems: Challenges and Opportunities in Journal of the National Cancer Institute Monographs (No. 46: August 2013).
From the UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center Newsletter - "Dr. Diana Miglioretti was recently named one of two finalists for the AuntMinnie.com's 2013 "Most Influential Radiology Researcher." Her paper, "The use of computed tomography in pediatrics and the associated radiation exposure and estimated cancer risk" in JAMA Pediatrics was selected as one of two finalists for the Minnie 2013 "Scientific Paper of the Year." The AuntMinnie.com campaign is designed to recognize the best and brightest in medical imaging. AuntMinnie.com provides the first comprehensive community Internet site for radiologists and related professionals in the medical imaging industry." Congratulations Diana!
Request for Applications
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research (PCOR) for Treatment Options in Uterine Fibroids
LOI due 11/15/2013.
Full application due 12/16/2013. Developing a Prospective Multi-Center Practice-based Clinical Registry (P50)
- NCI Provocative Questions
LOI due 12/16/2013.
Full application due 1/15/2014. NCI recently issued 20 new Provocative Questions (PQs) for 2014. The five themes are: Cancer Prevention and Risk; Mechanisms of Tumor Development or Recurrence; Tumor Detection, Diagnosis, and Prognosis; Cancer Therapy and Outcomes; and Clinical Effectiveness.
- DoD Breast Cancer Postdoctoral Fellowship Award
- Pre Application due 12/19/2013.
Full application due 1/9/14. Read the full announcement.
- Pre Application due 12/19/2013.
- Communication & Dissemination
- Monthly conference calls are held on the 4th Thursday of each month. Contact Vanessa.Neergheen@meyersprimary.org for more info.
- Epidemiology of Prognosis & Outcomes
- 10/16 - Hosted a webinar on Submitting Applications to the CRN. Slides from this webinar will be posted soon on the CRN portal. Calls are held on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. Contact Michelle.G.Wrenn@kp.org for more info.
- Health Care Quality & Cost
- First webinar was held on 10/14. The slides from the presentation are posted on the CRN Portal. Contact Joanna.E.Bulkley@kpchr.org for more info.
- Prevention & Screening
- Quarterly webinars are held on the 3rd Monday of each quarter. Next one is scheduled for December 16, 2013 at 12pm PT. Contact Nirupa.R.Ghai@kp.org for more info.
- Scholars Program
- CRN Scholars, CRN junior investigators, and NCI fellows are participating in a mock study section to experience the NIH grant review process first-hand. The mock study section meets Wednesday November 13 in Rockville, MD. Many thanks to the CRN investigators who loaned their grant proposals for this learning activity.
- Informatics Core
- The VDW Implementation Group (VIG) meeting took place in Seattle on October 23-25. CRN programmers and a handful of investigators were represented at the meeting. The VIG is responsible for ensuring quality and consistency of the VDW across participating research centers, and it was clear that greater involvement of research scientists will benefit the ongoing work of the VIG. CRN scientists are encouraged to participate on the VIG content area working groups, such as Tumor and Infusion Medications. If you are interested in participating, please contact Monica Fujii, Informatics Core Project Manager, or Heather Clancy, CRN Project Manager.
CRN FALL MEETING AT NCI - Nov 12-15. See you there!
Abstract Submission Deadlines
- 11/22/2013 - American Society of Preventive Oncology (ASPO) Annual Meeting
- 12/03/2013 - American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Annual Meeting
- 12/04/2013 - Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) Annual Congress
- 12/09/2013 - National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Annual Conference
- November 11-16, 2013 - The Obesity Society (TOS) Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA.
- November 15-18, 2013 - Society for Judgment and Decision Making, Toronto Canada.
- November 16-20, 2013 - American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) Annual Symposium, Washington, DC.
- November 20-24, 2013 - Gerontological Society of America Annual Scientific Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- December 6-9, 2013 - AACR Conference on The Science of Cancer Health Disparities, Atlanta, GA.
- December 8-11, 2013 - Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) Annual Forum on Quality Improvement in Healthcare, Orlando, FL.
- December 10-14, 2013 - San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, San Antonio, TX.
The CRN Portal
Don't forget about all of the useful information housed on the CRN Portal:
- CRN Template materials - handouts, PowerPoint, new logo files, etc.
- The BRAND NEW CRN Informational Flyers
If you need assistance logging on, please contact Melissa.V.Williams@kp.org.
Copyright © 2013 The Cancer Research Network, All rights reserved.