CRN Monthly Update for March 2016
In this issue:
- Recent CRN Achievements
- Recent Publications
- Meetings and Calls for Abstracts
- Additional Funding Opportunities
HCSRN Annual Meeting - Atlanta GA
April 13-16, 2016
Precision Oncology Symposium - April 16, 8:30 am to 3:00 pm
This symposium will focus on precision oncology and its relevance to health care systems, patients and populations, and clinical care. How can research in health care systems contribute to knowledge and advances in precision oncology, and how can precision oncology research influence changes in practice that improve cancer care and outcomes? Join us as we explore the current landscape of precision oncology and the role of health care systems in advancing cancer research in this emerging field.
- Deborah Bruner, Robert W. Woodruff Professor of Nursing, Emory University and Winship Cancer Center
- David Chambers, Deputy Director for Implementation Science, DCCPS, National Cancer Institute
- Karen Emmons, Vice President, Research Director, Kaiser Foundation Research Institute
- Katrina Goddard, Senior Investigator, Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research
- Muin Khoury, Director, Office of Public Health Genomics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Karen Kippen, Executive Director, Patient-Centered Outcomes Research, Department of Public Health Sciences, Henry Ford Health System
- Tatjana Kolevska, Associate Director, Kaiser Permanente Oncology Clinical Trials Program
- Marylyn Ritchie, Director, Biomedical and Translational Informatics, Geisinger Health System
- Maren Scheuner, Chief, Medical Genetics, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System
- Joe Selby, Executive Director, Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
Conversation Cafe - April 14, 4:30 - 6:00 pm
Enjoy complimentary coffee and snacks at this informal networking event while you learn more about the CRN, interact with potential collaborators, discuss ongoing research projects, and explore new ideas.
Recent CRN Achievements
- R01 application submitted to NCI entitled: The Effect of Cost-Sharing on Systemic Therapy Utilization and Financial Hardship among Advanced Cancer Patients. PI's: Mateo Banagas (KPNW) and Debra Ritzwoller (KPCO).
- R01 Renewal Application submitted to NCI entitled: Bridging the Quality Chasm: Measuring Recurrence to Improve the Quality of Cancer Care. PI: Michael Hassett (DFCI), Co-I's: Debra Ritzwoller (KPCO) and Mateo Banegas (KPNW).
- Oral Poster Presentation at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium entitled "The Incidence of and Survival after Breast Cancer Recurrence." Co-Authors: Michael Hassett, Angel Cronin, Hajime Uno, Nikki Carroll, Mark Hornbrook, and Debra P. Ritzwoller.
Chao C, Xu L, Bell E, Cooper R, Mueller L. Long-term Health Outcomes in Survivors of Childhood Cancer Diagnosed Between 1990 and 2000 in a Large US Integrated Health Care System. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2016 Mar;38(2):123-30. doi: 10.1097/MPH.0000000000000492. [View Abstract]
Chubak J, Garcia MP, Burnett-Hartman AN, Zheng Y, Corley DA, Halm EA, Singal AG, Klabunde CN, Doubeni CA, Kamineni A, Levin TR, Schottinger JE, Green BB, Quinn VP, Rutter CM; PROSPR consortium. Time to Colonoscopy after Positive Fecal Blood Test in Four U.S. Health Care Systems. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2016 Feb;25(2):344-50. doi: 10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-15-0470. [View Abstract]
Hassett MJ, Jiang W, Habel LA, Nekhlyudov L, Achacoso N, Acton L, Schnitt SJ, Schrag D, Punglia RS. Characteristics of second breast events among women treated with breast-conserving surgery for DCIS in the community. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2016 Feb;155(3):541-9. [View Abstract]
Jensen CD, Corley DA, Quinn VP, Doubeni CA, Zauber AG, Lee JK, Zhao WK, Marks AR, Schottinger JE, Ghai NR, Lee AT, Contreras R, Klabunde CN, Quesenberry CP, Levin TR, Mysliwiec PA. Fecal Immunochemical Test Program Performance Over 4 Rounds of Annual Screening: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Ann Intern Med 2016 Jan 26. [Epub ahead of print] [View Abstract]
Keating NL, Landrum MB, Huskamp HA, Kouri EM, Prigerson HG, Schrag D, Maciejewski PK, Hornbrook MC, Haggstrom DA. Dartmouth Atlas Area-Level Estimates of End-of-Life Expenditures: How Well Do They Reflect Expenditures for Prospectively Identified Advanced Lung Cancer Patients? Health Serv Res 2016 Jan 22. [Epub ahead of print] [View Abstract]
Kroenke CH, Michael YL, Shu XO, Poole EM, Kwan ML, Nechuta S, Caan BJ, Pierce JP, Chen WY. Post-diagnosis social networks, and lifestyle and treatment factors in the After Breast Cancer Pooling Project. Psychooncology 2016 Jan 8. [Epub ahead of print] [View Abstract]
McClure JB, Hartzler AL, Catz SL. Design Considerations for Smoking Cessation Apps: Feedback From Nicotine Dependence Treatment Providers and Smokers. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth 2016 Feb 12;4(1):e17. doi: 10.2196/mhealth.5181. [View Abstract]
Vigen C, Kwan ML, John EM, Gomez SL, Keegan TH, Lu Y, Shariff-Marco S, Monroe KR, Kurian AW, Cheng I, Caan BJ, Lee VS, Roh JM, Bernstein L, Sposto R, Wu AH. Validation of self-reported comorbidity status of breast cancer patients with medical records: the California Breast Cancer Survivorship Consortium (CBCSC). Cancer Causes Control 2016 Mar;27(3):391-401. [View Abstract]
CRN Website Update
The Coordinating Center continues to improve the user experience on CRN's public-facing website. Recent changes include adding a search bar to the home page, and adding some "Quick Links" for frequently requested content.
If there are other changes that would help you navigate this space, please send us your suggestions via email or the comment form on our website.
Meetings and Calls for Abstracts
HCSRN Annual Conference
Meeting dates: April 14-16, 2016, Atlanta, GA.
AACR Annual Meeting
Meeting dates: April 16-20, 2016, New Orleans, LA.
Cancer and Primary Care Research International (Ca-PRI) Network Annual Meeting
Meeting dates: April 26-28, Boston, MA.
ASCO Annual Meeting
Meeting dates: June 3-7, 2016, Chicago, IL.
8th Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference
Meeting dates: June 16-18, 2016, Washington, DC.
30th International Association of Breast Cancer Research Conference
Meeting dates: Aug 4-7, 2016, Portland OR.
Integrative Molecular Epidemiology Workshop
Meeting dates: Aug 5-9, 2016. Boston, MA
Application deadline - Tuesday April 26, 2016.
Additional Funding Opportunities
Upcoming application submission date: June 14, 2016
- Advanced Development of Informatics Technologies for Cancer Research and Management (U24)
- Early-Stage Development of Informatics Technologies for Cancer Research and Management (U01)
- Sustained Support for Informatics Resources for Cancer Research and Management (U24)
- Development of Innovative Informatics Methods and Algorithms for Cancer Research and Management (R21)
Copyright © 2015 The Cancer Research Network, All rights reserved.